Hot and sour soup is a popular Chinese dish that combines savory, sour, and spicy flavors. It typically contains ingredients such as tofu, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, eggs, and vinegar or lemon juice to add tartness. The soup is often served as a starter or as a main course with rice.
The ingredients for hot and sour soup can vary, but some common ingredients include:
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Bamboo shoots
- Rice vinegar or lemon juice
- Soy sauce
- Cornstarch or flour
- Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Sesame oil
- Chili pepper flakes or hot sauce
Note: Some recipes may include additional ingredients such as pork, chicken, or seafood.
Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Certainly, here is a detailed recipe for hot and sour soup:
Ingredients for hot and sour soup:
- 8 oz. firm tofu, diced
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced bamboo shoots
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes or hot sauce (optional)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Begin by preparing the ingredients. Dice the tofu into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in warm water for about 20 minutes, or until they are rehydrated. Drain and slice the mushrooms. Cut the bamboo shoots into thin slices and set aside. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring the chicken or vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat.
- While the broth is heating up, in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch or flour with a little bit of water to create a slurry. This will help to thicken the soup.
- Add the diced tofu, sliced mushrooms, and sliced bamboo shoots to the pot and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Slowly pour in the beaten eggs, stirring gently with a fork to create egg ribbons. Cook for another minute, or until the eggs are set.
- Stir in the rice vinegar or lemon juice, soy sauce, grated ginger, minced garlic, sesame oil, and chili pepper flakes or hot sauce (if using).
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as needed. If the soup is too sour, you can add a little bit of sugar to balance the flavor. If it is too salty, you can add a splash of water or broth.
- Serve the hot and sour soup hot, garnished with the scallions.
This recipe makes 4 servings of hot and sour soup. Enjoy!